Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thank God for candles, magazines and a good book


This morning I sat in my robe and pj's, a cat on my lap, candles burning bright, and a magazine to read. I LOVE magazines. I read them cover to cover. I enjoy every page. Magazines have always been a special treat for me. When I was in high school I got Seventeen every month --- and as I have told Bree before, back then the magazine was larger than a magazine is now and twice as thick. My girlfriends and I oohed and aahed and paper clipped pages that we would go back to over and over again. After I was married and had my babies, we were very poor and I couldn't afford to buy magazines, let alone have a subscription to a magazine! I would read second hand magazines but it was never the same as having your very own brand new copy.

A few years ago, after I started working full time, I treated myself to one magazine subscription every year. How I looked forward to that magazine coming in the mail. Its happy cover poking out amid the bills and junk mail!

Well, this year I made a BOLD decision! I decided that I would get a magazine subscription to ANY AND ALL magazines that I wanted. I told myself, "So What?" Its MY money and it isn't as if I'm out snorting crack! I've paid my dues and by God I am going to get magazines!

So a couple of months ago I got Entertainment Weekly, Country Living (one of my favorites) Coastal Living, and Good Housekeeping. I still want Midwest Living (another fabulous mag) and that will happen soon.

I received my first magazine a couple weeks ago and then yesterday I got another one. It was like Christmas!!! I was so happy!!!!

So, I will light my candles, kiss my cats, read my books and pore over my beloved magazines til the cows come home. And like I always say....its not like I'm spending money on crack or something....

No comments: