Thursday, December 18, 2008

In the Middle of the Night

Something happened to me last night that is very rare for me. I woke up at 1:00 a.m. and could not get back to sleep. I tossed and turned, got up, checked my email, read a bit, laid on the sofa in the living room, then went back up to bed. Archie was snoring next to me.
My mind would not shut off!!! I found myself thinking over and over again the same two things!!! Pete and Re-Pete, Back and Forth, Over and Over, Check and Re-Check. I was going crazy! Does this happen to other people too? I would say to myself, "Now stop this right now!!!" and then I would think the same horrid things over and over again!!!! I almost started crying I was so frustrated.
I have a game I have played ever since I was a little girl and I would not be able to get to sleep because of worrying about something....I would (in my mind) pretend that my worries/concerns/midnight demons was dust on the floor. I would take a broom and sweep up the dust into a dustpan. Pour the dust from the dustpan into a bag. Then go to the window. Open the window and throw the bag filled with the dust/demons/worries/concerns out the window. Then close your eyes and off to blissful sleep. This did not work last night.
I must have drifted off sometime. (Last time I looked at the clock it was nearing 4:00 a.m.)
Next thing I knew Archie was calling me, "Keeeeelllliiiii....Time to get up! Rise and shine!"
I clomped downstairs and got my mug of hot coffee. As I took my first sip I realized what I always do....things never seem as bad or as awful the next day over a fresh cup of joe.

1 comment:

Brazzle said...

Great post! What in the world was keeping you up? Golly! I felt like that all the way back in Barcelona when I was jetlagged and couldn't sleep and couldn't turn my brain off. All the silly, obsessive thoughts. Things seem so much worse in the middle of the night.